Melbourne Cup is fast approaching so here are some fashion tips from outfit to fascinator:
Cup week begins with AAMI Victoria Derby Day, the day for classic elegance, which sets the pace for the entire week. Traditionally, a monochrome (black and white) colour scheme for women has been the prominent palette, while men often chose to wear a grey morning suit, peacock vest and pin-stripe pants.
- If the outfit is very busy and patterned you may want a single coloured fascinator.
- If the outfit is shapely, eg layered, high collar, pinched in waist you may want a small delicate fascinator
- If the outfit is quite plain and simple you may want a statement fascinator with a burst of colour.
- If the outfit is a single bright colour you may want a contrasting coloured fascinator and match it with shoes, or if you are brave a matching coloured fascinator can work too!
- If you are wearing a jacket, shawl, pashmina or the dress has a high neckline consider not wearing a fascinator that is heavy and covers a lot of your head.
- If the dress is reflective of an era you may want to reflect this in your fascinator (eg “Victoria Vintage”).
- If your face round,angular or you have a strong jawline? you may want something with curves and softness or would something fitted and sleek to your head look better (like “Autumn”) or something more protruding (like “Feathered Flourish”).